The Fetal Medicine Unit (FMU) is a specialist area within Maternity Outpatients that delivers care for women referred during the antenatal period that require closer observation or investigations. The FMU team comprises of Consultants specialising in Fetal Medicine and Midwives who work alongside them.
The Midwives provide individualised support and information to women. This care is mainly delivered on an outpatient basis however, inpatient care is planned with close liaison between wards and the FMU team.
How to access the service
Referrals to the FMU are made by Midwives, Doctors and other health care professionals.
Referral criteria to the FMU includes:
- A suspected or confirmed fetal anomaly seen on an ultrasound scan.
- A high risk result on antenatal screening test.
- Confirmed haemaglobinopathy/antibodies.
- A family history of an inherited condition.
- A medical condition that requires specialist input/medication which potentially may affect the pregnancy.
- Concerns with fetal growth.
- A multiple pregnancy.
Tel: 01270 612171 / 273775
How to find us
Leighton Hospital, Maternity Unit, Pink Corridor, Ground Floor, Near Maternity Entrance, in Maternity Outpatients Department.
Opening times: Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm (excluding bank holidays)